I very much enjoyed the PACT masterclass tonight with Tamara Howe – BBC Controller of Business, Comedy & Entertainment, Television. Tamara is the most senior person who shared with us her 30 years career story and we had time for a Q&A at the end. The evening was rounded off with us all going out for a drink and enjoying each other’s company. Splendid!
I’ve written below some top notch advice that I took away from tonight’s 90 minute Masterclass.
Career advice relating to Television Media:
1. Work bloody hard. Be kick ass good at what you do. Go that extra mile and use your initiative.
2. Believe in yourself and play to your strengths
3. Be a team player. All relationships are important. Treasure and nurture them.
4. Be flexible and resilient. Embrace change. Don’t be scared of failure.
5. Be you! Important to be authentic and have integrity
Also helps to have some champions. Surround yourself with like-minded people that lift you up. Find mentors, people that you can rely on and be curious, never stop learning.
A successful on-going career: Apart from hard work over the years, what’s stood Tamara in good stead is her ambition, being flexible and excelling in different worlds. Being really good at what you do and have people in your life who believe in you.
Wherever you are in you career, if you’d prefer a staff job, look for big Indie’s outside of London, like in Salford, Manchester. Grow, progress and be on your work grind.